Friday 10 December 2010

Making The Double-Page Spread

For my double page spread i chose to do an interview with what is portrayed to be a on trend, and influential Indie-Pop artist. In my research i discovered and recognised that the main feature within any music magazine was more than likely always an interview with a popular artist of that genre they are representing. I therefore carefully linked to the main luring and engaging feature on my cover (the interview with this on demand artist), to my double paged spread.
I edited the one image i took of my model in Photoshop using the 'Magnetic Laso' tool to remove the background of the image. I chose this image as i felt it was one of the strongest i took and feel next to the second image i shows gives a good contrast of angles and shots between the two, for both to be interesting and intriguing images yet put next to each other more.
I did this to then blend in another image i wanted to include to create a flowing and open double-page spread, which didn't cut in the middle. I therefore started to cut in part of the other background which i copy and pasted, and drag them over to this image to give the effect of it being one image.
I also chose to slightly overlap the image, onto the next page again to create a look of not segregating them as two separate pages but linking them as one larger one, in which i wanted to purposely create for a strong, open feature. This was in the models knee, the part of the picture which went most the the right, carefully placed to ensure the models face or outfit wasn't cut through the middle which could when printed cause a bad look but subtly with the knee to still fulfill the overlapping technique.
Once completed the photography for the double-page spread was done. I am very pleased with how this looks and feel it is a successful start to the Pages.

I then went on to add the iconic codes and conventions again. There may not have been as many within the middle pages of the magazine but even so each that was added, contributed to the realism of the magazine, giving it more of a professional look. This included a photographer label, to the images, in which all magazines use as a promotion for the photographer or even sometimes for legal reasons to name who took the image. I put this at the bottom of the page, as i felt it was the best position for it. I also added a page number one of the most common and traditional conventions of a magazine, again to add to the over realism of my magazine as an existing product. However to develop this and to add to the magazines house style i put the number on a slight slant. I feel tiny details like this, complete the page as an overall good styled spread.
I then added the Heading of the interview. I placed this in a space on the left side of the page. I did this to ensure it wouldn't overlap the statement photography and the model, and would also join the two pages together with the heading on one side and the interview on the other. I chose a plain font which was carried out throughout the magazine to create the house style and to add to the simplistic effect and look. I used an engaging headline, including words such as 'unfolds' also underlining this to put focus on this being a big and important thing making the reader want to read on with the interview. Again i filled in random spaces within the letters to the heading to show how it is the theme and iconic feature for the magazine, also being automatically linked to them when recognised. 
And finally i added the interview. I completed the interview in a question answer manor, which after looking through my research was a popular choice for most magazine to create a good, flowing interview. The interview included a subheading which again engaged the  reader and made them want to read on with in the interview, by including teasers such as, 'talks to CROSSOVER about her debut album' and 'her past secrets'. Also giving a brief summary of the artist for those who have bought the magazine for other purposes and not knowing the artist, or simply as an introduction to the interview. A subheading is another iconic convention of a magazine which is used in all interviews now. I related my tone of voice and language also to my target audience. From research a more laid back, conversational, informal tone of voice would engage them more and be something which is more regognised and admired for them. I also had to ensure, like in a real magazine production things such as spelling, grammer, and suitability were all relevant and checked.
When going through my research within magazine interviews i found collums were the most iconic and traditional forms of layout.
Therefore i also used this layout within my interview. This was again to create the best look of which an existing magazine would have, making my own look more realistic and manipulating the famous codes and conventions to my advantage to do so.
I also used more subtle codes and conventions, within my magazine interview in which magazine readers would be most familiar with and fins suitable for any interview. This was differentiating the interviewing questions and the answers by the questions most commonly being in bold. Also by adding a larger piece of text, usually a quote that was said within the interview again to lure in a ready to engage their attention and make the want to read it and finally adding to the realism a reference at the end of the interview to where the album being spoken about can be bought, in this case iTunes.

 (small piece of detail included within the copyright logo being put next to the iTunes tag for realism)

Here shows my final Double-page spread. I am very happy with this outcome and it is exactly how i wanted to portray the Indie-Pop style. I am also confident my interview is engaging and relevant to the style and genre, and my images are strong and influential.


No comments:

Post a Comment